One day, during my art teaching days, I noticed a student looking around my classroom. He seemed to be studying the rows of stacked, labeled boxes stored on top of the cabinets. "Mrs. Blair, you sure have a lot of stuff."
Without missing a beat, one of his table mates responded, "When you're an artist, you need to have a lot of stuff."
I loved that; such an intuitive observation for his 6 or 7 years!
I began laying the pieces out, using the rough edges as much as I could to define the lower edge of the belt.
After I overlapped the pieces, I pinned them together to check the fit and to see how it laid from waist to hips.
Then I looked to see if I had matching thread and a leather sewing machine needle. Eureka!!
I wanted the belt length adjustable for more versatility, so I started contemplating closure methods.
I thought snaps would be best, but couldn't find any in my studio that were compatible with the medallions.
jarred treasures, where I found a large hook and eye closure that looked as though it would work.
I can choose the pair of eyelets I need to fit a particular costume and tie the belt closed with a leather lace.
Yes, I do have 'a lot of stuff'; but my reluctance to let go of things that may serve a later purpose paid off again!
Another distraction... while working on a collar today I came across two pieces that would be great on pirate boots!!
Hmmm... what can I attach them to? The aforementioned lidded basket had a black leather belt in it that I bought about 20 years ago. When it cracked, I couldn't bear to throw it away... into the lidded basket it went.
What I used:
- 1 old leather belt
- 2 pressed metal medallions
- 4 textured rivets
- 2 screw buttons
- 1 well-loved pair of boots
This is why my husband always asks if I can use something before he throws it away!!
I love hats, but I'm particular about the kind I wear. I seem to only feel comfortable in one style... round, flat, short crown and wide-ish brim with upturned edge.
I needed one for my Renaissance Festival Costume, but I couldn't find one I liked. I decided to transform my winter black felt hat, an ebay find.
- Ostrich, pheasant, and peacock feathers were joined with floral tape and a pin back finding sewn on the back.
- The three embellishments beside the feather grouping were made with stuff I had on hand. I use one of these pinned with the feather group, depending on the costume worn.
- The flower has a pin back finding sewn on the back.
- The center piece is made with vintage hat netting, a vintage button, a metal rosette, a pewter spacer, and a bead.
- The third one is vintage hat netting, two buttons, and knotted waxed linen with three skull beads.
They have such wonderful costumes, and I always look forward to seeing what they will show up in next!