Temps are warmer since the Spoutwood Fairie Festival, and it is also three days,
so I needed to expand my fairy wardrobe.
I am presently in NY, without my sewing machine
and fabric-and-other-treasures stash,
so a treasure hunt was necessary. I rarely start
a treasure hunt with a preconceived plan!
I scored a $2.50 dress, with a chunk missing from
the back, at the Salvation Army. I am very curious
as to how that missing chunk happened.
It looked like the dress would be a good color
match for the wings I had already made, and it is.
I had to cut 4 inches off the dress to compensate
for the missing back section, and because I am not
as young as I used to be, I used some of the scraps
to make a ruffle to sew to the neckline.
Using Heat 'N Bond, I fused 3 of the fabric
leaves horizontally to make a belt; backing
them with interfacing and 3 more leaves.
I took apart the flowers and ferns and
placed them on the belt, sewing beads in
the flower centers. There are green
grosgrain ribbon ties on each end.
I cut the tulle into 13.5" squares and
stitched one point of each along the
length of the elastic, about 2" apart.
Since the tulle is detachable, I can use the belt
for other outfits... like these.
This dress was another secondhand store purchase.
The left view has an overskirt made from strips of
I cut a waistband, including a few inches below,
off some old Chico's Travelers pants and stitched
the tulle strips to it. It is pulled over the dress
and the belt tied on top.
The view on the right has an overskirt made from
a vintage sheer scarf. I cut a horizontal slit in it
and made a waistband with knit fabric. It is also
worn on top of the dress and the belt tied on top.
I 'm ready for The New York Faerie Festival, in terms of attire;
I just need to make more fairy-inspired art pieces!