Case in point, one of this week's completed projects...
I bought two boxes of old newspaper type at a flea market over a decade ago. I had organized a little box with
various words separated into compartments, but making these leather charms was still taking way too long.
When a task is too time consuming, I try to shave time off; sometimes reorganizing is the key.
One of my mantras is "try to use something you have on hand". So a different, deeper box (that I already had) filled with stuffing pellets (from eons ago) now holds the words with the letter end upright. A label on the lid makes it easier to find each word's location.
Will it stay organized while I use it? Probably not until I get accustomed to it and develop a new habit... we'll see!!
Well, the box seems to work fine for storage, but not so much for work in progress. The pellets do not keep the type upright, so I moved to Plan B. Still trying to make do with what I have, I used:
1. The bottom half of an Altoid tin.
2. A piece of an egg carton cut to fit the Altoid tin; a bit of height was needed so the top of the type
was above the elastic bands.
3. 2 pieces of rubber shelf liner to prevent slipping, cut to fit inside on top of the egg carton piece
4. Ponytail elastics; I used 13.
'let the magic begin'
I used a paint pen to write the letter
on the end for easier identification.
If I am stamping smaller phrases or
single words, I can arrange accordingly.
It was much easier stamping these
last week for the New York Faerie Festival.
The letters stayed in place for me to take out as needed, and slip back in as I proceeded.
Update on 7.18.2016...
I went to Cabela's with Greg this weekend and found this ammo box.
Perfect depth and 10 x 10 spaces; perfect storage for my type.
This could have saved me a lot of time last June!