This may be the most boring garment I've ever purchased. Not sure why I got it; it had ripped out hems, mundane buttons, and I don't wear brown.
I brought it home anyway. Maybe it was its sad face of neglect... like a rescue puppy making eye contact; you know you're not leaving the pound alone.
I replaced the original reddish brown buttons with silver ones; boring.
I removed those and replaced them with mother of pearl buttons, wrong side up; more boring. This jacket needed help; an overhaul, actually.
Cara gave me a bag of fabric scraps on treasure hunt day. In it was the remnant piece of a jacket she had altered. I thought the pockets might liven it up.
- I used a seam ripper to remove the pockets from the remnant, separated them from their flaps, and removed the buttons.
- I overlapped the pocket flaps to make a single one for the back; cutting one down the center and putting the two pieces under the uncut flap. Not there yet; it needs color!
- I decided to make tabs for the three buttonholes, pockets, and back flap.
- Getting better, but it still needs something... I think red. For me, red almost always makes things better!
- I sewed buttonholes on the cut, interfaced, faced, and sewn button tabs.
- I sewed the flat red buttons to the jacket front and buttoned them into the original buttonholes.
- I buttoned the new tabs on top to determine placement.
- I pinned the tabs in place and did two rows of turquoise top-stitching to secure them in place, allowing a 1/2" extension beyond the front edge.
- I found the cherry buttons in an antique store many years ago. "It's about time," they said.
- To extend the color I did rows of turquoise top-stitching.
- I included one row of red on the collar and one lapel.
- Such a long time spent to get such an understated result. Probably needed a heavier weight top-stitching thread, but have no inclination for a store run when absorbed in something!
- I looked for a pair of buttons compatible with the 6 already sewn on. I had a small red antique pair with bits of blue and gold.
- I cut a pattern for collar tabs in scale with the buttons and made two.
- I top-stitched the tabs with the same turquoise used for the others.
- I secured the tabs to the jacket.
- I tacked the collar and lapels to the jacket to keep them in place.
The no longer dismal jacket, rescued and happy in its new home with new owner! We are going for a walk shortly.
This cute little dotted dress is not particularly age appropriate for me. However, I thought it would pair well with a rose patterned cardigan I've had for years. I wanted to do something with it that would make me wear it again.
- I removed most of the sleeve ribbing, zig-zagged the edges, folded hems to the outside, and stitched.
- I joined the ends of each ruffled shoulder strap to embellish the lower sleeve edges.
- I covered the sleeve hems with the ruffles and sewed them on.
- I pinned the bodice front inside of the sweater front and pinned both to the dress skirt.
- After checking fit, I sewed them together.
- I had removed the two rows of loops and tie that laced the bodice center (indicated with red arrows), but later retrieved 3 pairs and pinned them between the sweater edge and bodice.
- I top-stitched the front edge of the sweater to secure the bodice and loops, and re-laced the tie.