I also redid Greg's olive green Tommy Bahama shirt. Unfortunately I did not read on the label
that it was dry clean only before washing and shrinking it terribly!
Garment #1... a peasant style top. It is the second reincarnation of a white eyelet shirt dress from Mish Mash (a favorite consignment shop I like to go to when visiting my friend, Susan Craver in York, PA).
I purchased it several years ago and removed the collar, shortened it to tunic length, and sewed part of the sash into the side seams to cinch in the back a little bit.
This is its first reincarnation.
- For reincarnation #2, I cut off the top of the shirt starting just below the shoulder seam and across the front after checking how low I wanted the neckline to be. I allowed a seam width of 1/4".
- I cut off the sleeves after determining how long I wanted them. I allowed for a 1" hem.
- I determined the length I wanted the top and cut off the extra, allowing for a 1" hem.
- I sewed seam binding to the new neck edge to make a facing, ironed it under, stitched it, and inserted 3/8" elastic.
- I replaced the translucent plastic buttons with white opaque ones.
- I had some white lace trim that I decided to sew to the bottom edge. All done!
I forgot to take a before photo of the dress before cutting it up, but it was humongous. The closest thing I could find online to give you an idea of what I started with was this photo of a dress on poshmark.com; however mine dragged on the floor and had a strapless knit bodice.
In it, I resembled one of those pitifully sad looking dolls popular on birthday cakes when I was a little girl. They always had a voluminous icing skirt and the expression on their faces was the same as mine when I saw the dress on me. Voluminous is not particularly becoming on someone 5 feet tall.
- I removed the knit bodice from the dress; I planned to use the skirt only.
- The skirt had 8 gored panels. I removed 2 of them and resewed to make it fit.
- I cut off the gathering strings used to hike up the flounces.
- I removed the sleeves.
- I also removed about 12 inches of length to make a tank style bodice for the skirt.
- I stitched the altered top to the skirt.
- I didn't like the hemline all one length, so I gathered two sections along the seam lines of the skirt's front center panel.
- It still needed something to tie it all together so I sewed some flower trim along the bodice edge.
- I wanted to carry the flowers further so I cut two sections of 3 flowers and sewed them on top of the gathers I'd done on the seam lines. Done!!
- I removed the eyelet ruffles from the dress.
- I sewed them to a white tank that never fit me well; the straps were too long for my short body.
- I cut the straps off and replaced them with straps I made from the eyelet sash left over from the eyelet shirt dress (garment 1) I redid.
- I cut two flowers from the trim I used on the white dress (garment 2) and sewed them on the seam lines where the straps and tank meet.
- As shown in the previous peasant top steps, I cut off the top of the shirt starting just below the shoulder seam and across the front after checking how low I wanted the neckline to be. On the back of the shirt, I cut across the base of the yolk. I allowed a seam width of 1/4". I sewed seam binding to the new neck edge to make a facing, ironed it under, stitched it, and inserted 3/8" elastic.
- I cut off the sleeves after determining how long I wanted them. I allowed for a 1/4" seam and sewed seam binding to the sleeve edge to make a facing, ironed it under, stitched it, and inserted 3/8" elastic.
- I did nothing to the bottom edge of the shirt; it is tunic length on me.
- I replaced the buttons with antique buttons that are the same olive color. Finished!